Tuesday, February 2, 2010

snowy weather = courtney's bake-a-thon




For some reason when the forecast calls for some snowy weather I head to the grocery to stock up on supplies for yummy treats. So not everyone at the grocery is there for canned goods, breads and milk, ok people? Weather totally has an effect on my cooking and eating... is anyone else like this? I'm, like a big brown bear storing up for the winter.

Of course Jason loves this... because I act like the pope is coming to visit. Breakfast cakes, new recipes, cider and fresh coffee, the pewter comes out and we are ready for a party. of three. whooopeeee!

Anywhoo, here was what i whipped up over the weekend... and this was not in the same meal, so if the menu looks weird, that explains why. :)

Miss Paula Deen's Chicken Noodle Soup (with my amendments) with crusty, buttery, french bread..
A Sock it to Me Cake... Add blueberries and you have a coffee cake, so doubles for a pastry and dessert item.

Parmesan/Rosemary Red Potatoes

And, FRIED Tortellini. YUM.
I documented, because I kind of made this up:

This is an awesome appetizer if you are gearing up for a weekend of Super Bowl festivities by the way..

1 package Tortellini
1 1/2 cups Breadcrumbs (or make your own)
1/2 C Cornflakes or Special K
2 Table Spoons Parsley

Dipping Sauce:
1 16 oz can tomato Sauce
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Parsley
1/4 C Diced Onion or onion powder

1. Buy a package of tortellini. You can but the 4 cheese, the chicken/cheese/ spinach and bacon.. whatever your fancy, and cook according to directions. Drain Pasta.

2. Beat 2 large eggs and put them in a bowl.

3. Combine Breadcrumbs, Parsley, Special K in container. (i also added grated Parmesan because I had some on hand).... If you dont want to buy breadcrumbs, and have a food processor... make your own! It took me about .5 seconds. Grab a few pieces of bread, or a hoagie bun or whatever type of bread- as long as it is fresh- and put it in the processor until finely chopped. Add the special k, and run it again. Voila!

4. Once your pasta has cooled off in the strainer... run it through the egg mixture and then through the breadcrumbs and drop in hot cooking oil to fry.

5. Do it in small batches (usually 3 or 4 minutes per batch) then put on to platter and sprinkle parm cheese on top!

For the Dipping Sauce:

In a shallow sauce pan combine all ingredients and let them simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the last batch of tortellini is fried, pour sauce into bowl and sprinkle parsley and grated Parmesan on top.


YUMMY! Let's have a dinner party like this one:




Who wants to come!?





6 comments:

Kellie Berry said...

You are amazing. it all looks so yummy!! I want to come!!!

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

ok - beth and i need to make a roadtrip to your house!!!!!

you've officially made me hungry this morning!

amiller said...

Great minds think alike! The snowy weather made me want to cook too! I tried homemade cinnamon rolls. They were great.....Your new recipe looks delicious. I'll have to try it soon. Hope you are doing well. Little Graham is precious!Hope you are enjoying motherhood.

the williams said...

i do i do!!!!! let's hang out soon!!!

Michael and Crissie said...

Oh my, I did the same thing. I felt so silly in the grocery store Friday buying all these things to bake. We ate like pigs all weekend.

Rhondi said...

OH YUM.