Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Graduate


Ok, so instead of doing an overwheming mega-post, I've decided to update in segments.

Let's rewind to Jason's residency graduation.....

TA DA!

On Wednesday of Jason's graduation week, I was busy preparing things for family/friends/2 parties and a baby tea in Savannah. Mom and Lindsey got to my house at about 10 am and we cleaned, dusted, organized, ALL DAY LONG. Think: Baseboards. Like, I ached when I got in bed that night. At 8 am on Thursday I was on my way to Memphis to pick up Clayton, a friend of ours who was coming in for the festivities. I was excited about the day: airport, PB Outlet, Williams Sonoma, Lunch and back home- just in time to greet Jason's parents who were arriving that afternoon.
So we did all of the errand running that I had planned, and after purchasing the PERFECT lamp for Graham's room (separate post on that later) we were headed to Huey's for a burger. While at lunch I started feeling a little strange- like overly hungry, but kind of sick... and was worried that I may have started some contractions. I didnt want to freak Clayton out, so we finished lunch and went to get gas before heading back to Jackson. While Clayton was pumping gas, I called Jason and told him that I thought I was having contractions. He said, to tell him what I thought was going on- and to start recording everything I was feeling.
At this point, we were on 40 and they were coming every 8 minutes or so. I wasnt in pain- or anything- they were just really specific and weird feeling.

By the time I got to Jackson, we raced home and Jason and I were on the way to the clinic. We got checked in and hooked up to the monitor, with the contractions coming every 2 minutes! I was laughing and freaking out- thinking there is NO WAY this child can come today... I am way too busy. SO we saw the doc, did the fetal fibronectin test and he said go home and get in bed.

So, Jason's parents were now at my house, and my brother and Clayton- and I had to go home and get in the bed. We had to be back at the doc at 8 am next morning. Luckily by midnight or so on Thursday, the spasms had subsided and I could rest.
Friday came and we were back at the doc, to find that the test was negative (i was 33 weeks at this point) but I really had to lay off. So Jason put the kabosh on his graduation party, we cancelled a big family lunch, settled for a chicken nugget tray from Chic-Fila, and were at his graduation by 2. All of us.

His graduation was great! He was named Resident of the Year, got the chief award, and the entire time I was in my chair thinking of what a journey these last 3 years had been. When he matched in Jackson, we were greatful for the opportunity, but so sad to leave Nashville after we had made such great friends there. Apprehensive about our move- we trusted that this was our next step and it's been great to see how things have come together for us here. He immediately fell right into line with the program- we bought our first home, made new- great friends,and ultimately signed a contract with Brownsville Family Medicine to begin a couple of weeks after Grahams arrival.

I cant say enough about what we have learned- patience, diligence, and for Jason's "schooling" to be officially over is surreal. He has showed tremendous amounts of integrity and discipline while completing this life goal. On the other hand- there were times I wanted to KILL him for his time away from home, sleep talking and lifestyle that we've had to keep for the last 3 years. But, it was "our normal".

So, as we step into this new chapter, we realize that the Lord's timing is divine, and we are grateful for the many many blessings. Cheers!

Jason and Clayton- thanks for coming!


yipee! dead tired from contractions!
they "roasted" all of the graduates- i thought this was hilarious.

3 comments:

The Whites said...

Congrats to Jason!! We are very proud of him!

Rhondi said...

Congrats Graduate!

The Hugheys said...

Congrats Jason! What an accomplishment! I know you are thrilled to be done and ready to move on to the next great phase of this career. Good luck! :)