I would describe myself as "very green" when it comes to pregnancy. Now, I have always said I could swing by labor and delivery, pick up a baby and be fine; in other words, the baby doesnt scare me in the least...... but this pregnancy deal is unchartered water.
Now, I am somewhat of a reader and researcher. It's sort of like, when books are my only tools to something that I know NOTHING about.... I just gather all of the information that I can to try and understand what I am going through. Not to the point of OCD, I do have Dr Peppers and dye my hair....BUT I have maybe 6 or 7 books on my bedside table right now. Subscribe to babycenter.com and ask a LOT of questions.
I mean, how do you even begin to prepare for this? "You can't" as my mother of 4 would say. And I know that... It's just a lot of prayer.
I've really never thought about the pregnancy... just about the baby. When I was 18 my Ob told me that I would have a slim to none chance of ever being able to conceive. Some of you may remember those devastating words. So as an adult, I just never put my eggs in that basket. (no pun intended). What's funny, is that Jason and I met our freshman year, and as friends- so he always knew that about me. Of course when we started dating, and could really see this headed in the direction of marriage... the children conversation was one that we had to have, but that we felt the same way about. When we married we were/are 100% on board with adoption. Still are- still will probably be a part of our lives at some point because we feel called to it.
So you can imagine my shock THANKSGIVING MORNING when we realized that this was not only a reality, but a miracle, a different direction for our lives than we ever imagined, and proof that His ways are higher than ours. He has always been faiithful. It makes my heart hurt.
The first few weeks of my pregnancy were very introspective for me. Almost like God was drawing me to him- in solitude. I cant explain it... I didnt really want to discuss it, or plan, read or think- it was so private and personal. And of course this wasnt in MY plans, or in MY timeline - which was the greatest lesson of all.
So, we told our families at Christmas. We had a mini covert operation and snuck into Jasons clinic (it was 11:30 pm) where he attempted to do the doppler ultrasound to see if we could see ANYTHING that resembled a baby. And, props to my hub, we did see the Chamber at a stunning 6 weeks. He's good like that.
So we got in to see the "real doctor" the 22nd of December, which is when we heard the heartbeat and saw the baby.
We told our families at Christmas. We told Jason's parents with a Calendar, with random pictures of family and us, - and the month of August we wrote about expecting baby goolsby. They were shocked of course..
Then we told my parents/fam the night before Christmas eve. Jason got me a GREAT new camera for Christmas and we "pretended" like we wanted to take a family picture. Of course they were totally against it..."they looked horrible" and "why cant we do it tomorrow".. so after nothing short of force they came together for a picture and we took a few funny ones, and then Jason said "Let's do a serious one.... 1, 2..." and I yelled " We're having a baby!" Jason started snapping and we have their expressions and reactions in the pictures. It was really fun.
So now as I begin to regain my energy (this is the longest post I have ever had and I didnt pass out or even quit in the middle of it) and start liking food again... (I havent gotten sick, just nauseous and a ton of food aversions) I am looking for your advice, your solutions... what to do during this waiting time of clothes not fitting right, but not in maternity, what websites did you enjoy, ... etc. So email me, post here or call ... I need HELP.
Thanks for all of your post, comments, cards and calls. We appreciate you loving us. ALL of us. :)
These are my family pictures of when we told...
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
He's always been faithful
Posted by Courtney and Jason G. at 8:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Courtney and Jason, I am so excited for you both! When I got the text, it took me 30 minutes to figure out the area code and who it might be and then went "yay, oh my goodness!". What a blessing. Sorry no advice here, but instead my prayers for the pregnancy and "new baby G". Y'all are going to be incredible parents.
Well hello, Mommy-to-Be! I am so so so excited for the two of you! We need to hang out, but clearly not put the boys in charge of it. And I can't believe I didn't know about your little blog! Hope you have a great day!
Oh, and if you are bored, head over to www.thatwifeblog.com and vote for design #1... pretty please ;)
the pictures are priceless....what a neat idea! i love that that's how you told them....presh...
advice.....don't let the books freak you out....afraid i learned this the hard way.....they are a great resource until you start thinking every little thing you feel is this rare thing or that.....
the in-between clothing time is horrible....i used the rubber band trick on my pants for a long while...and then after the baby, too....it's a great one....
enjoy being pregnant...i love it.....it is such a special time.....i still miss the feeling of a little moving baby inside....it is magical.....
oh my gosh! the list could go on forever! by the way-love the way you told your family! totally appropriate for you guys and classic!
I remember feeling like i wasn't taking it all in enough when it first started to sink in and almost feeling guilty for not loving this little peanut in my belly but now that he's supposedly about 5 pounds and moving around, i consider it our way of communicating and it's so sweet!
Don't read too much! and don't believe everything you read. too much of something bad is never good. so, when they say don't eat this...just don't eat it all the time! i mean really soft serve ice cream is grand! just because it comes out of a machine that doesn't get cleaned every single day doesn't mean your child is going to have some weird thing wrong with it!
Pony tail holders/rubber bands, like Kendy said are lifesavers for a while! I hear the Bella Band works great too!
my biggest advice ... TRUST IN THE LORD completely! I have to tell myself this every day as I get closer to our due date. God is totally in control. Like you said, he's the one that allowed this, so he'll be the one to author the whole thing! No matter what happens, it's in His plan!
I love you and so excited for you guys!
What a fun story and awesome blessing. I don't have much pregnancy advice. I am pretty sick most of the time, so I just focus on survival :) Sounds like you are doing fine on your own...Can't wait for you to feel that little one move around. You will be amazed and so thankful....
such a sweet post-love it. love you, Jason, and Baby G.
PRAISE GOD!
So, so happy for you. You are just one of the neatest people I have ever known. This baby is going to be one lucky little munchkin.
Hey yall, we are so excited for you ...
Listen, read the books if they made you feel better, but it never happens the way they say.
Advice...SLEEP, SLEEP, AND SLEEP
You will never get to once the baby comes..TRUST ME
About the pants...get the belly expander, from motherhood it helps alot.
I was sick for so long so my advice is keep peppermint by you bed and before you even get out of bed pop on in you mouth...it always kept me from getting nausea/sick.
We love ya'll, and can't wait for Taylor to play with her new cousin.
i cannot even tell you how excited i am. That baby will be so blessed to have you and Jason as parents!
Courtney. I am with you on so much of what you wrote. I never really knew if being a mom was in my future but once Randall and I married, I knew he would be such a wonderful father that I had to give him children. So, like you, babies are nothing to me. I've been around them my entire life. I responded much like you did to the news, though I was not very suprised since I had myself on a time-line and tried to plan it at the right month (and I did). The reality of it continues to hit you when you have just learned to forget that it's actually happening. The weight gain has been the worst for me since I am now officially the biggest I have ever been, but "you're beautiful," reminds my amazing husband. I just celebrated my 33rd birthday and I nearly cried, not because of my age, but because this is the age at which I am becoming a mommy. A what? Yes, I am going to be a mother. Since I am 26+4 today I am blessed to feel him move every day, which is yet another stunning reminder that there's no turning back now. This is really happening and my blown up proportions and finally starting to show belly are proving it. Clothes don't fit...so you go to the thrift store or borrow from a friend. The nausea subsides and finally unhealthy foods that you usually steer away from become your comfort and favorites. At the end of the long day you prop up your feet because of the swelling and your never-ceases-to-amaze-you husband rubs them for you. All in all, there's only book you need because there is no possible way to be prepared for this. The Bible teaches us how to trust and keep our faith and gives us direction when we ask, "are you sure I'm ready for this?" No, you're not sure, but God is and you're going to be great.
Courtney, I'm so so grateful for you and Jason and Baby G! You are going to be wonderful parents. I'm trying to think of some profound advice, but i think most people have mentioned everything I can think of. I thought that What to expect when you're expecting was the most reasonable book... answers LOTS of questions, but isn't super extreme either. AND it goes month by month. You probably already have it :)
As for the clothes, I say, go ahead and buy a few things a size or so bigger than usual. You can wear it in between AND after you have the baby and are in between again!
Good luck- i'll be checking in... especially since Baby G and Baby H#2 are going to be so close in age! :)
congrats again courtney...the story is a testimony to how powerful AND gracious God truly is...as far as advice goes, i totally haven't buttoned my pants for like 5 weeks, so i always look like i left the bathroom in a hurry...i think its quite fashionable :) and maternity pants are awesome-they make me long for days when elastic waist bands were stylish because they are rediculously comfortable. My only serious advice is to get a calender to count down your days til the baby comes, and make notes in it frequently... no detail is too small! you will look back at it thankfully and tearfully as you see what a miracle God works in our bellies during such a short period of time. I look at Samuel all the time and say "your huge now, but once upon a time, you were in my belly." I will say that when he goes to school, when he's a teenager and he hates me, and when he has his own kids...God made him in my belly...So i'll conclude my paragraph by saying i'm so happy for you, and i'll pray for your sweet miracle of a baby, whom you can always remind that God formed in your belly :) what a blessing!
Courtney
I just heard your wonderful news when I ran into your mom and dad a couple weeks ago, sorry I havven't written sooner!!!
I am thrilled for you. I know you both will be such great parents.
Blessings
Sara--by the way Elizabeth and Ryan's baby Lacey made her appearance on Val.Day!!! She is beautiful!!!
I am so excited for you guys!!! congratulations!!! We miss seeing your sweet faces around these parts. :)
Post a Comment